Whereas traveling to an exotic destination such as the US can be exciting, it can nevertheless be equally stressful. But the bad news is that, getting travel insurance has never been a walk in the park. Purchasing travel insurance prior to travelling is imperative since it covers you in the event when the flight is cancelled or when you have to return home due to an emergency such as the death of a relative. Here are some things to consider when looking for travel insurance prior to travelling to the US or any other exotic destination.
Where to purchase the travel insurance
There are many insurances companies that sell travel insurance to travelers. However, you should have it at the back of your mind that, insurance is a multi-billion dollar business and most of the insurance companies are out to make a kill rather than treat clients to quality services. In this regard, you must take your time before selecting the company to purchase travel insurance from. Here is what to look for in a prospective insurance company.
- Whether the insurance company offers travel insurance that is valid in the country you are travelling to. For instance, if you are travelling to the US, you must purchase a travel insurance that is valid in the US. It will be a waste of money and time purchasing travel insurance that is not valid in the country where you are visiting.
- When looking for the best travel insurance plan, settle for the company that offers a high coverage limit on all your travel expenses. The best insurance companies provide more than $100,000 in coverage. Getting a plan that has a high coverage limit is important since it will cover you for more risks such as injuries and illnesses. It will also cover your high bills such as hospital bills.
What the travel insurance cover
Before investing your money in travel insurance, it is imperative to consider what the travel insurance plan covers to be sure that it is well poised to cover all your travel expenses. Here are the provisions that a great plan or policy should include.
- Must cover sudden illnesses and injuries
- Must offer coverage for electronics
- Must be valid in as many countries in the world as possible
- Must offer 24/7 emergency help and services
- Must cover damaged, stolen or lost possessions such as baggage, jewelry documents and other important possessions.
- Must cover emergencies, strife or political unrest which can force you to return home abruptly whenever they occur in the country that you have visited.
- Policy must include personal accidents coverage.
- Must cover all legal expenses whenever they occur.
Consider your needs
First of all, you will have to meet ESTA requirements for you to be eligible to travel to the US. Secondly, you must purchase a comprehensive travel insurance plan that is valid in the US. When looking for travel insurance, go for the plan that meets your needs. Here are some of the needs that the best plan should cover
- Your medical expenses
- Your baggage and belongings
- Your travel expenses